Thursday, April 16, 2009

A PRAYER FOR JOHN KUMA

“ A Prayer For John Kuma”

“There is nothing more tyrannical than a strong popular feeling among a democratic people”. – Anthony Trollope, English novelist 1815-82

Like Kwame Sefa-Kayi says most mornings: “when you say a prayer, say one for…” John Kuma!!!

A member of the opposition New Patriotic Party, John Kuma says the leadership of the party must call the Nearly Man and his supporters to order. As reported by one of the local sources of fiction, John Kuma was apparently unhappy that party supporters were organized to welcome the Nearly Man from abroad recently. John Kuma as a loyal party man, was of the opinion that the actions of some party supporters and executive created the impression that the Nearly Man was still the elephant’s pole-bearer. Such actions, he said, did not allow for grassroots mobilisation of the party’s support base, as they bred disunity. In his own words “I think that this is the time for us to put individual ambitions aside. The party (leadership) should be looking at how we can re-energize the party at the polling station level.”

John Kuma apparently being fully aware that he could face a stampede from some of the elephants, in the same breath, tried to persuade people that he was not making the statements because he was a thoroughbred Kyeremanteng ‘akola’, no bend no curve. Hear him again, “This has got nothing to do with personalities. I am looking at the constitution of our party and the wisdom the framers of the constitution put in it that when we go into an election and we lose it is the national chairman who must take over as the leader of the party,” .

I was in Accra when his original sentiments were expressed. I heard it live on radio. I couldn’t shake off the feeling that a stampede of elephants was about to begin. Though I know not Mr. Kuma, I have listened to him on a few occasions on Asempa FM. Okay, I admit. Bobie has made that station a very interesting one most afternoons for me. I first encountered John Kuma, I believe on Asempa FM. He is an elephant alright but he appears to be a domesticated elephant. What Mr. Kuma did not anticipate may have been the heavy stampede of elephants that went berserk and trooped his way. I was in P. C. territory when I heard that he had been trampled by the elephants. Apparently he lived to tell his tale because I heard him only last week or so on Asempa FM. I had gone to the Holy Village to see Kwabena Krakye and Afua Abakoma and was on a road to Omanmu, through PC Appiah-Ofori’s territory when I heard the news. I stopped by the roadside to imbibe it. The stampede of the elephants was so wild that John Kuma, who had sounded so defiant on air barely a day earlier and was ready to defend his position, had…, oh, yes, … apologized to the Nearly Man and to all Elephants, dead and alive! “ I John Kuma, do hereby swear, that I did not mean any harm at all to you, Sir! In fact, Alan also did not send me. I was on a frolic of my own. I apologise most sincerely, for stating the obvious and standing up for what I know you know and all elephants know to be right. Its just ‘ambodzin’!

These are times when you must weigh all your options before coming out to say what may even be obvious to everyone. Its becoming increasingly difficult in Ogyakrom to state an opinion and stand by that opinion if that opinion is contrary to popular opinion. John Kuma stated the obvious. But in Ghana, you must be dumb to state the obvious especially if it involves some major movers and shakers. A STAMPEDE OF ELEPHANTS WILL DESCEND YOUR WAY IF YOU ARE AN ELEPHANT, ESPECIALLY A BABY ELEPHANT. UMBRELLA TIPS, SHARPENED FOR EFFECT, WILL FLY YOUR WAY IF YOU ARE AN AKATAMANSO. Over time, you learn that if you want to survive in these parts, you have to clam up and seek to ventilate on your loo or in your bedroom or into green or black bottles as appropriate. We have made it an art in making fine people feel bad about doing good!

So tonight, before you turn in, when you say a prayer, say one for John Kuma. A lot more of that elephant trampling and he metamorphoses into the Ghanaian nightmare. An intellectual, who does not believe one word of what he says but says it anyway because it flows with the tide and also guarantees his place at the 'no ko fio' jamboree, if and/or when it comes! And oh, while you are still on your knees, say one too for Alhaji Haruna Attah of the “New Daily Accra Mail Guide”. He is another who has opened his mouth to say the ambodzin on the ‘elephantiasis’ and he’s had his fair share. He appears to have a thick skin. And finally say one for me too. Its time to feel good, about doing good. ThinkGhana. Make Integrity fashionable again!!!

A.S.E.M, Asem!!!

P/S: Please elephants, don’t stampede my way for describing my own nemesis as the Nearly Man. I have said, and I say so again, that Uncle Fiifi should give comfort to him that if you bide your time and stay true to the people, your time will come. Uncle Fiifi was a Nearly Man for half a century. But now " hwe adze onyame wa ye!!! Opanyin, gye ahom, na eyi oye agora a!!!

Joe Aboagye Debrah Esq.
www.osimidiaries.blogspot.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home