Thursday, April 23, 2009

MEETING H.E. AFTER 100 DAYS

IN THE BEGINNING…

“Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us.” – Dr. Martin Luther King Jnr.


Finally, I have seen him. Mano a mano! I can tell you the true tale. After 100 days of trying, I finally saw him and shook his hand. A hand that has been metamorphosed into an “Excellent Hand”. He basically looked the same to me. Amazingly, he still acts the same way. I have always known him as a father figure. A man who took me in when I was a student and who showed interest in me and what I was doing with my life. A man to whom I run with my myriad problems of growing up. A man who accepted me for who and what I was and helped shaped my views on life. A man who made me believe again. There he was, in all his glory but amazingly still the same man I had known. Yes, I met him. His Excellency, the President of the Republic of Ghana, Prof. John Evan Atta Mills.

I was not alone. There were loads of other distinguished persons in the place. It was the 50th anniversary of the Faculty of Law, Legon. There were many others in the crowd that day who may have felt the same way. Uncle Fiifi is President but I can bet my bottom dollar that he has not been fazed by the office at all. How he does it, I can’t tell. I wish that I could emulate him. I wish we could emulate him. I am happy for the young people who have been given responsibilities in his government. There was Pato, sitting close and exchanging banter as of yore. Metres way, Ayariga, also exchanging pleasantries. These guys are perfectly normal! I knew them before the ‘castled’ themselves. They are doing their bit to help mother Ghana and I know that they will succeed. If only they stay focused on Uncle Fiifi and with the divine help of Chineke God, they will succeed and they will offer a new corps of young dedicated people for the development of mother Ghana.

The Mills Administration is a refreshing breath of fresh air blowing into our politics. Some fret, some may sweat. Some may rejoice. But Ghana will be the better for Uncle Fiifi. Love him or loath him, Uncle Fiifi is bringing something very different to governance in Ghana. “Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us.”

I am glad I met him again. He is passionate in his quest to make this land a better Ghana, So Help Him God!!!

Breda Osimi
Accra 200409

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home