Thursday, April 23, 2009

1ST ARTICLE IN "THE INFORMER"

““The show you are about to watch
Is a news parody.
Its reporters are not journalists.
Its stories are not fact-checked.
Its opinions are not fully thought through.”

- Intro, "The Daily Show, Global Edition” on CNN.

I was out in Legon, enjoying meeting a lot of old friends and lecturers, mentors and godfathers, 'girls-friends' and 'boys-friends'. Then my phone rang. It was Obaa Yaa. Obaa Yaa is my mother but not my mother. Don’t ask me to explain. In our culture, when you trace your family tree properly, you will realize that though an Efua Abakoma may have borne the pains, you have a lot of mothers, culturally and socially. Obaa Yaa is stock from Kwabena Krakye’s side, through Akokoaso via Hwiakwae in the forests of Eastern Region. Obaa Yaa is my mother, too, period! Obaa Yaa was a little agitated. “Ei, Joe, na wo ka NDC paper bii ho anaa? Of course, I was intrigued because I do not belong to any editorial board of any newspaper or the board of directors of any media entity. Obaa Yaa says goes again… “ oh, paper na opese osei Colonel Damoah no de wo din ato anim se wo nso wo ka ho! Literally, the paper that wants to destroy Colonel Damoah has your name on the front page saying that you are part of them… Na true? How do you handle an agitated mum in the middle of a very open function at the law faculty. I had to buy time. So I told Obaa Yaa that anyone who told her that I was part of anything had got it all wrong. That Uncle Fiifi was about to speak and that I will get back to her. I gently explained to Obaa Yaa that I have no clue what comes into a newspaper. I have been bothering the venerable Ebow Aikins Esq. with my thoughts over a long period until he could not stand me any more and ordered me to write my thoughts and publish on a blog. That is what led to osimidairies.blogspot.com. I have explained that once in a while, I put my thoughts down and ship them over to my blog and to ghanaweb. Sometimes, Magas gets a piece of the action too. It was a difficult ‘sell’ though to get her to appreciate that Ben the Terrible, has apparently been reading my pieces and gave me an offer of a column in their new newspaper. I could not refuse. Obaa Yaa says she understands, but it is not convincing. I know this weekend I have to go home and do a little bit more work on her. All because of Kwadwo Damoah and Ben the Terrible. Obaa Yaa may have been doubly agitated by my description as a controversial lawyer. For the records, I am not. I just try to do things as best as I can with God and my nation in mind. If that is the notion of controversial in today’s terms, man can do very little about it!

How do you explain to people that the fact that your column is in a newspaper does not mean that you are privy to nor can explain any other news items that appears in the same newspaper. Kwadwo Damoah is a personal friend. I have experienced some of what he may be going through at this moment. I have also followed his story through the media like most Ghanaians. I have not seen him in a long while. I may not know the issues too much on what is happening with or to him. I do not know anything about his soldier work. But I know him as a gentleman. I had not seen him in a long while before his story broke. Whether Damoah destroyed the army or the army destroyed him is not going to engage my attention today. Wherever he is, I wish him strength because I know times like these are very lonely stressful times.

My drift is that even Ben the Terrible is aware that this column will retain its sanity at all times. Breda Osimi is neither going to be pro-NDC or anti-NPP. Breda Osimi is not going to be pro-NPP or anti-NDC. Osimi Diaries is my personal journey through life. It is seen through my eyes and a revelation of my personal experiences in Ogyakrom. I have been through a little bit out here in Ogyakrom. Those experiences are my diaries. So Damoah may be on the front pages being bashed and Breda Osimi may be in the middle pages praising him. The Nearly Man may be running another sideshow and be receiving my review in the middle pages (why does he keep popping up in my pieces? Need to see Ama about this!). My manager may feature a lot. The two musketeers will also feature. They are my life. All the bre' is because of them. I will share with you my tears for fears. I will share with you my joys and my pain. I will share with you what nonsense OP told me over the weekend. I will share with you the sheer frustrations of having KooRey as your best buddy. I will share with you Aso’s laughter and sweetness of heart (Manager, you know her o, let not this one bring wahala!). I will share with you Sharlotte’s attempts to sanitise all of us impossible brethren she has. I will share with you Uncle Ebow’s antics, advice and sheer brotherly affection that have been my strength through the many lows we have shared together. I will share with you what the Bishop has told me, in our numerous sessions of soul-searching God’s word for solutions to man’s problems. Osimi Diaries will be the window into my world into Ogyakrom into the future SO HELP ME GOD!

So just as Jon Stewart says in his intro on my favourite show on CNN, the show you are about to watch is a news parody. The reporter is not a journalist. Its stories are not fact-checked. Its opinions are not fully thought through.

You have been warned!!! You fret at your peril! My doctor recommended writing. When I look at agya Sydney, who writes serious letters to Jomo every week, I wonder how they are able to do it. May Chineke give me some of Agya Sydney’s wit and Opanyin Gyasi’s depth. Osimi Diaries is here. Hope Obaa Yaa can be convinced. Hope my manager does not read the column. Hope the Bishop does not read the column, though I know he will. Hope someone tells Aso, Sharlotte and KooRey that I may wash dirty linen and be shaken by what they think at all.

Stay safe, me nkrofo. Buckle up and enjoy the ride. It may be turbulent!!!

Breda Osimi
Accra, 200409

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello
http://www.royalpalmcafeandinn.com/ - buy lorazepam online
Inform him if you are breastfeeding or are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant.
[url=http://www.royalpalmcafeandinn.com/]lorazepam drug[/url]
? Elderly are more sensitive its effects and should be started with a low dose.
ativan mg

Ativan (Lorazepam) warnings and precautions to be aware of include potential drug interactions, safety of taking Lorazepam if you are pregnant or are elderly, and the risk that some people may become psychologically or physically dependent on it.

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home